Albuquerque Dark Hardwood Flooring
Are you considering installing dark hardwood flooring in your Albuquerque or Rio Rancho NM home? If so I hope you read flooring Debbie's post below. Debbie's flooring knowledge will help you in making the right choice in your NM home flooring.
In Larchmont NY, dark hardwood floors are very stylish. Many of my customers love the dark look...they even ask for Ebony. Dark hardwood is sleek and stylish, and it gives your Larchmont home a sophisticated look.
How do you get dark hardwood flooring?
Most dark hardwoods are stained to make them darker. There are many species/types of wood that can achieve this look.
1. The most common dark hardwood flooring is oak that is stained with a dark brown stain such as Ebony (the darkest stain) or a slightly lighter with a Jacobean or Dark Walnut stain. Many customers who are seeking a dark stain want "pure" brown with no hints of red. And, these 3 stains seem to achieve that goal well. The above 2 pictures are ebony.
Even if you have red oak flooring, these dark stains will drown out the inherent redness of the wood. If you already have oak floors, your floors can be stained dark (even if they are currently light colored). Or, if you are installing hardwood, you can either get a prefinished oak with a dark stain, or you can get unfinished hardwood and sand and stain it on the site. (One of the benefits to refinishing hardwood on site is that you can test samples of it on your own wood before committing to a color).
On the left is a picture of some of the minwax stain samples - Jacobean, ebony, red mahogany and dark walnut stains. It's important to test the colors on your actual wood as they often look different on different woods and in different homes. Also, looking at the Jacobean and Dark walnut on this chart, I can tell you that these actually tend to look much darker in real life on the real wood. So, always test.
Some customers want dark floors, but they also want a bit more warmth in the color, and in those cases, often Royal Mahogany is a good stain selection. It appears to be a combo of ebony and red mahogany.
Oak hardwood flooring tends to be less expensive vs other hardwood species as it's more abundant here in the US.
2. Brazilian Walnut is naturally a darker wood. In its natural state, I would call Brazilian Walnut a mid toned brown. Brazilian Walnut has a richer smoother grain vs. oak and it has a lot more color variation. You also have the option to add a stain to Brazilian Walnut to make it darker.
3. Hickory flooring is another hardwood that can easily be stained darker. Hickory is harder than oak (1800 on the Janka Scale vs. 1290 for red oak).
The above hardwoods (oak, brazilian walnut or hickory) are easy to install either as prefinished or unfinished hardwood and then stained on site to the desired color. The following hardwoods are generally best to get prefinished, especially for darker stain colors. (These woods are either rare/expensive to get in an unfinished form and/or are challenging to stain on site as they come out blotchy.
4. Maple hardwood flooring can be stained dark. Maple is a challenging hardwood to stain due to its pores; some of the dark stains come out gray and some come out darker brown. If you want a dark maple, I'd recommend buying a prefinished maple.
Shaw's Cosmopolitan maple is a unique black hardwood with a special type of enamel. It has a very sleek and modern look. But, it is a distressed hardwood, so it's not a flat surface like most hardwoods that you find in Westchester NY.
5. Some prefinished birches (left) and ashes (right) come very dark...even darker than maple.
6. American Walnut is also naturally dark. While this wood is very pretty, unlike Brazilian Walnut, American Walnut is rather soft and tends to dent rather easily. It also tends to darken more from the light compared to oak.
7. Wenge is a very dark hardwood and has its own unique look. It tends to be on the more expensive side. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of real Wenge hardwood, but the picture to the right is a laminate version of Wenge.
If you live in Larchmont NY and you have an interest in dark hardwood flooring, give The Flooring Girl a call at 914-937-2950.
Map of Larchmont NY 10538
Dark hardwood flooring in Larchmont NY 10538
Hardwood Flooring - Carpet - Tile/Natural Stone - Laminate - Refinish Hardwood - Backsplashes
Debbie Gartner, Owner
"The Flooring Girl"
Call us for a free estimate 914-937-2950.
"We bring the store to your door."
Albuquerque Homes and Lifestyle Blog
John McCormack Owner/Managing Broker, e-PRO
505-980-4576 / John@AlbuquerqueHomes.com
If your considering Buying, Selling or Relocating to Albuquerque or Rio Rancho, NM and need a Professional Realtor It would be my pleasure to help you!
Be sure to visit my AlbuquerqueHomes.com website for total access to all available homes in the following New Mexico communities: Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Los Ranchos, Placitas, Bernalillo, Tijeras, Sandia Park, Cedar Crest, Bosque Farms, Los Lunas & Belen.
Come On Back and Visit My